Main Office

Opening hours / Monday – Friday / 09:00am – 5:00pm

Krompier Law

What variety of alimony that are accessible in New Jersey?

Whatever your thoughts might be about the fairness of having to pay spousal support,otherwise also known as alimony, to your former spouse, if there is a court mandated order determining  you have to pay, then you must bite the bullet and do so. If you need help modifying or terminating your alimony agreement, please read on, then contact an experienced Monmouth County alimony lawyer to learn what are the types of alimony in the state of New Jersey.

What kinds of alimony are obtainable in New Jersey?

The court orders different types of alimony depending on the conditions of the marriage. The types available in New Jersey are as follows:

  • Limited Duration Alimony: For couples who were married or in a civil union for less than 20 years. These payments should not be made longer than the duration of the marriage/union and can be terminated if either spouse’s finances change.
  • Rehabilitative alimony: When a spouse holds off their career to support their family, this allows the dependent spouse to receive the education or training they need for work.
  • Reimbursement alimony: If one spouse financially supported the other’s education or training, this type of alimony reimburses them for the cost.

Will you have to pay alimony indefinitely in New Jersey?

In the past, spouses could receive permanent alimony in the Garden State. However, a 2014 law replaced possible permanent alimony with open duration alimony. In most cases, the length of alimony can’t last for more years than the marriage. For example, if the marriage lasted 10 years, alimony can usually only last up to 10 years. So, most likely, you will not have to pay alimony incessantly

If you are losing sleep worrying about predictions regarding your alimony legal situation and if it  isn’t exactly as you want it or believe it should be, or if a dramatic change in your lifestyle circumstances requires a post-judgment modification in the alimony portion of your divorce settlement agreement, contact Douglas I. Krompier in Freehold today.

Call us at (732) 431-9188 so we can reserve your initial consultation. We represent clients throughout the state including those located in Monmouth County, Middlesex County, Mercer County and Ocean County.

Post a Comment